Many thanks to Jane and the team at Bennett's Butchers in Sutton Sea for supplying a range of recipes featuring the esteemed Lincolnshire Sausage for my Love Louth & Horncastle campaign! Providing high quality products to the Sutton on Sea community over many decades, the Bennett's family business has developed their version of the renowned Lincolnshire Sausages that have been enjoyed across the nation, and even made their way to Australia!
If you have some time this weekend, why not rustle up one of these delicious Lincolnshire dishes for your friends and family to enjoy, and visit https://bennettsbutchers.co.uk/ to find out more.
Lincolnshire Sausage and Apple Plait
- 450g / 1 l/b Lincolnshire Sausage Meat
- 2 medium cooking apples and 1 tablespoon sugar OR 1 jar of apple sauce
- 1 sheet (320g) ready made puff pastry
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Core, peel and slice apple. Add sugar. Cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins. Strain and leave aside to cool
- Grease a baking tray and place the pastry sheet
- Mix sausage meat and apple sauce together
- Place the sausage/ apple mixture down the centre of the pastry, lengthways. Cut 1 inch (3cm) slits sloping away, then brush with the egg to form a plait folding both ends in first. Brush the top with egg
- Bake in pre-heated oven, gas mark 6 / 200c for approx. 20 mins. Then reduce the heat to gas mark 2 / 150c for approx. 30 mins. Service hot or cold
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 400g Lincolnshire sausage meat
- 1 large cooking onion, chopped
- Remove stork, peel and wipe the mushrooms
- In a bowl, mix sausage meat and onion
- Divide into 4 and form into burgers. Press into mushrooms.
- Bake in pre-heated oven, gas mark 6 / 200c for approx. 30-40 minutes. Serve with buttered new potatoes and seasonal veg.
Creamy Mustard and Lincolnshire Sausage Pasta
- 8 thick Lincolnshire sausage
- 2 red onions
- 4 oz / 120g mushrooms
- 1 oz/ 28 g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 6 tablespoons double cream
- 350g pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Grill or oven bake the sausage until brown. Cool slightly, and cut each into 4.
- In a pan, melt butter and oil. Add chopped onions and mushrooms. Fry until soft, add the honey and continue to cook until golden
- Cook the pasta, and drain well
- In a large pan, mix the pasta, onions, mushrooms and sausage
- Stir in the mustard. Add the cream, stirring continuously on a low heat for 2 minutes. Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Optional grated Lincolnshire Poacher on top before serving.
For a twist on cocktail sausage, which are always a favourite on the buffet table.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of running honey with 1 tablespoon of English Mustard powder or 1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard.
- Coat 450g/ 1 l/b sausage thick of thin. Bake in the oven, gas mark 6 / 200c for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly brown
- Cut into bite size pieces and place on cocktail sticks